Google and YouTube present 6 innovations to help celebrate Ramadan
March 23, 2023299 views0 comments
By Onome Amuge
Ramadan is a holy month that is observed by Muslims all around the world. The ninth month of the Islamic calendar is considered a time for reflection, prayer, and community.
To make the celebration easier and more enjoyable, Google and Youtube have created a variety of helpful tools and information resources through which Africans can access a wealth of information and resources to make the most of the special time.
Six ways that Google and YouTube can help muslim faithfuls celebrate Ramadan in Africa include:
1. Simple search for “Ramadan 2023” in the user’s language on Google: This will enable the user to access all the information related to the month, including prayer times, recipes, and more. The user can also find articles on Ramadan etiquette, Ramadan recipes, and Ramadan greetings to help navigate the holiday with ease. Additionally,greeting cards can be assessed online through this platform to share with loved ones. Users can also scroll through the Ramadan colouring book on Google Arts & Culture to engage the inner artist and colour beautiful artwork to share with family and family and friends.
2.Set reminders for prayer Times with Google Assistant: With Google Assistant, a user can set reminders for prayer times throughout the day, making it easier to stay on track during Ramadan. To do this,the user simply asks Google Assistant to set a reminder for the next prayer time, and will receive a notification when it’s time to pray. The user can customise the reminders to fit a schedule, so as not to miss a prayer. Google Assistant also provides inspirational quotes and spiritual guidance to help the user stay focused and connected during the holy month.
3. Shop what you see with Google Lens: By using the camera on the phone, the user can search for a delicious type of dessert and find the next favourite decoration item to buy during Ramadan. The user can open the Google app on the phone, tap on the camera icon, and use Google Lens to snap a photo or screenshot. With Google Lens, the user can easily find exact or similar results to shop from or explore for inspiration.
4. Watch Ramadan-related videos on YouTube: YouTube is a great resource for learning more about Ramadan. The user can find videos on how to prepare traditional foods, tips for fasting, and spiritual practices related to Ramadan. There are also numerous Ramadan vlogs and Ramadan routines videos, where one can follow along with the daily activities and experiences of content creators during the holy month.
5. Use Google Maps to find local mosques and halal restaurants: Google Maps is a valuable tool for finding local mosques and halal restaurants during Ramadan. A user can search for mosques in an area of residence or around one’s current location and get directions to join in community prayers. The user can also search for halal restaurants around to break the fast with delicious and authentic cuisine. Additionally, Google Maps can help one navigate through unfamiliar areas when travelling to different cities or countries during Ramadan. Google Maps also enables the user to plan Ramadan activities and explore new places with ease. Moreso, it allows one to read reviews and ratings from other users to help make informed decisions about where to go.
6. Browse Google’s shopping guide for Inspiration: Google’s analysis of search and shopping trends found common themes related to home decoration, like Ramadan lanterns, which grew 20 per cent year over year. Based on this, Google has created a Ramadan shopping guide that collects trending products helpful during the holiday to help users prepare for Ramadan. Moreso, users can browse through the guide for inspiration and find new ideas for decorating their homes, preparing for Iftar, or giving gifts to loved ones during the holiday.