- Begins trial of the technology today and expected to run for a year
- Aims to offer customers seamless and distinct digital experience
By Charles Abuede
Nigeria’s telecommunication giant, MTN Nigeria, in its continued drive to lead digital transformation, improve customer experience and maintain the high quality of services for its customers has announced the trial of e-SIM services on its network for a period of 12 months, after it received approvals from the Nigerian Communication Commission (NCC).
The company, in a notice, sent to the Nigeria Stock Exchange and signed by Uto Ukpanah, the company’s secretary, stated that the trial which kicked off on Wednesday will run for one year on a first come first served basis to a limited number of subscribers who owned compatible devices. The statement further disclosed that MTN is spearheading e-SIM adoption in Nigeria as part of efforts to enable the digital economy as it is part of its commitment to delivering the benefits of a bold new digital world to customers.
- BA launches peoples, customer-centric campaign on return to flying
- Technology growth will create more jobs for Nigerians, says Cedarview…
- Investing in Africa’s Future
- Africa’s environmental safety, energy security and Agenda 2063 (3)
- Renewables, global energy’s biggest sources constitute only one-third in…
Mazen Mroue, the company’s chief operating officer, who expressed satisfaction at the development, said MTN Nigeria was eager to get through the trial process so that the technology can be deployed for the benefits of all Nigerians.
“We are in a fast paced digital age with new technological advancements driving the constantly changing landscape. Against this backdrop, customers depend on us to provide high quality, reliable and easy to sue connectivity solutions.
“With the introduction of the e-SIM, we will offer customers a seamless and distinctive digital experience with new levels of flexibility, simplicity and convenience. This is a further demonstration of our firm commitment to delivering the benefits of a bold new digital world to our customers and we will continue seeking ways to provide solutions that address old and new challenges, making life a little easier and brighter,” Mroue said.
MTN Nigeria, being the largest provider of communication services with over 68 million subscribers in Nigeria, has taken a giant step in introducing sophisticated technology into the Nigerian telecom market to drive digital and technological transformation to improve experience of users on the network with latest trends and developments in the industry in line with global trends.
Few points to be noted from the latest development in the Nigerian telecoms market
- Subscribers can have multiple devices and numbers linked to their e-SIM profile on the network to enable synchronization of information in customers’ profile.
- This new technology is particularly rolled out for business owners and frequent travelers or tourists in Nigeria as the technology affords them easy access to managing business and personal profiles as well as their internet data.
- Subscribers might be required to pay a certain subscription fee as the on-boarding requirements are same as are required for a physical SIM registration.
- This e-SIM is inbuilt into Smartphone, devices and wearables as your contacts might get saved to a cloud based system should you misplace your device for easy retrievals.
Frontpage August 28, 2017