The federal government of Nigeria has approved the issuance of a Declaration Certificate to taxpayers under the Voluntary Assets and Income Declaration Scheme (VAIDS) as Babatunde Fowler, the chairman of the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS), revealed that the government had recovered about N30 billion from individuals and corporate establishments through the tax amnesty scheme.
The Declaration Certificates approved by Kemi Adeosun, the Minister of Finance, would be given to taxpayers who voluntarily declared their previously undisclosed assets and income.
Fowler unveiled the VAIDS Declaration Certificate Wednesday in Abuja at a Workshop organised for chairmen of States’ Inland Revenue Service.
He disclosed that the certificate was customised for each State tax authority with several security features and would be issued to the taxpayers upon submission of their declaration forms.
- Nigeria bourse up 2 basis points on price gains in Nigeria Breweries,…
- The Urgent Need for Telehealth in Nigeria
- MultiChoice maintains stance on Pay-As-You-Go service in Nigeria
- 2022 import ban: Tackling Nigeria’s hurdles to milk self-sufficiency
- Naira, Nigeria's domestic currency, likely to remain depressed near term
According to him, 90 percent of the amount was collected by the tax agency, while the remaining 10 percent was recovered by the states.
Fowler, who is also the Chairman of the Joint Tax Board, stated that the national taxpayers’ database had increased from 14 million in 2016 to over 19 million in 2018.
He expressed optimism that the number would translate into a positive growth in the country’s Tax Revenue to GDP ratio.
He commended many States of the federation whom he said have achieved significant success in implementing the tax declaration policy, and urged the various tax administrators to adequately educate, enlighten and sensitise taxpayers to be fully alive to their tax obligations.
Frontpage November 28, 2019
Frontpage December 12, 2017
Frontpage September 29, 2019