Energy drinks continue to make its way into the Nigerian market and gain popularity. Most energy drinks are spiked with caffeine, such that they are used as alternatives to other caffeinated drinks like coffee and not all manufacturers do well to inform consumers of this on the products’ package. While energy drinks are normally carbonated beverages that provide energy throughout the day, there is the possibility of getting less than you bargained for with some brands. Apart from packaging and marketing which have helped brands position in this market; Ingredients, flavoring, and nutritional offering are other determiners which put a brand’s product before others. Red Bull, Power Horse, Lucozade Boost, Monster, Fearless, and Climax Herbal energy drinks are popular products in the country. All of them with the exception of Lucozade Boost contain caffeine, and are not recommended for consumption by children, pregnant and beastfeeding women, diabetics and persons generally sensitive to caffeine. Most energy drinks contain taurine – known to boost short term energy, B vitamins, and sugar. Find specific information about each brand below.
Red Bull Energy Drink
- Five years of the New Deal on Energy for Africa
- Nigeria: Contribution of non-oil exports to economic growth
- Nigeria Oil and Gas: Impact of Oil Price Volatility and COVID-19
- Grim picture as AfDB projects $236.7bn GDP loss for Nigeria, others
- Opay finally gives in to harsh economic environment, suspends Nigeria operations
- Manufactured by Red Bull GmbH in Austria.
- It is marketed as a booster for physical performance and mental alertness.
- The 250ml size is sold at N350, and expires after 2 years.
- Red Bull contains sucrose, carbonated water, baking soda, citric acid, magnesium carbonate, pantothenic acid, caffeine and flavoring.
- This drink is also high in vitamin B, including thiamine (B1), riboflavin (B2), niacin (B3), B6, and B12, essential for building blood cells in the body.
- Red Bull has sugar-free options, which includes Red Bull Zero and Red Bull Sugarfree, which are made with the artificial sweeteners instead of sugar.
- Even though sugar-free Red Bull is lower in calories and sugar, it has the same amount of caffeine as regular Red Bull and therefore has the same potential side effects.
Monster Energy Drink
- Manufactured by Monster Beverage Corporation, marketed by Coca-Cola.
- Monster’s 440ml size is sold at N350, and expires after 2 years.
- It contains ginseng extract, caffeine, maltodextrine and L-carnitine, which may also increase energy levels, in addition to other energy boosting ingredients.
- There are two common variants of the product – Monster Energy and Monster Fury, both sold at the same price.
- There is a unique camo designed logo on its can package.
- Many consumers opined that the alcohol in it is appropriate unlike many rival products, with higher alcohol content.
- Manufactured in Nigeria by Suntory beverage and food Nigeria Limited.
- There are the 1 liter and 250 ml sizes in plastic package, and the 330ml size in a can.
- The 330ml product size is sold at N250, and does not last up to a year according to information on the product’s package.
- Many people remarked they like the drink because of its taste and due to its no caffeine content.
- It contains glucose syrup, sugar, dextrose, citric acid, lactic acid, potassium sorbonate, ascorbic acid, citrus blend and sunset yellow.
- This drink is not recommended for people who are lactose intolerant.
Power Horse Energy Drink
- Manufactured in Austria by Power Horse Energy Drinks GmbH.
- Both the 250ml and 335ml sizes are common. It has other variants – Power Horse Energy Zero Sugar, Power Horse Limited Edition and Power Horse Energy with malt extracts.
- The 335ml size is sold at N250, and expires after 2 years.
- Many consumers confirmed that the product actually revitalizes the body quickly within a short period of time.
- Its ingredients include sugar, dextrose, citric acid, taurine, caffeine, inositol, sodium citrate, carbondioxide, caramel, vitamins B6, B12, niacin and pantothenic acid.
- Some persons complained about the high caffeine content in the product.
Fearless Energy Drink
- Product of Rites Foods Limited.
- There are two variants – Red Berry and Classic.
- The drink comes in 500ml plastic container size and is sold at N250.
- Its ingredients comprise citric acid, sodium benzoate, sodium citrate, taurine, caffeine, inositol, niacin, sunset yellow, ginseng extract, vitamins B6, B12 and others.
- Fearless Energy Drink is tamper-proof packaged.
- Many consumers believe that the caffeine content in the Red Berry flavour is less than in the Classic variant.
Climax Herbal Power Drink
- Manufactured by Nigeria Breweries Plc.
- Marketed as a herbal energy drink.
- It comes in 33cl size, sells at N250, and expires after 2 years.
- The product contents includes taurine, ginseng, and herb extract.
- Consumers attested to the drinks’ effectiveness for stimulating the mind and increasing stamina.
- Climax Herbal Power Drink has high caffeine constitution, people with caffeine sensitivity may avoid.
Many studies have revealed that consuming energy drinks can contribute to increased blood pressure and heart rate levels within 90 minutes to 24 hours after consumption. A lot of energy drinks are sugar-sweetened caffeinated energy drink, it may increase a person’s risk of developing diabetes. Amongst all the energy drinks, only Monster, Fearless and Climax energy drinks contain ginseng extracts which provides additional energy increments. Lucozade Boost is the go-to brand for persons who wish to avoid caffeine, also containing per 100ml energy of 283KJ/67Kcal the same as what Fearless Classic energy drink offers, with the major difference being addition of caffeine in the latter. Both Power Horse and Monster Energy have energy value of 203KJ/48Kcal and very similar B Vitamins makeup. Red Bull Energy is the only brand which has zero and sugar free variants, in addition to containing all the essential B Vitamins (B1, B2, B3, B6 and B12). Hence, it is our best pick.
Frontpage October 1, 2019