By Uche Samuel Osuji
There are so many toothpaste brands in Nigeria. From these numbers, there are brands with a larger market share and more apparent shelf presence. There is no doubt the benefits of using good
toothpaste is summed up in having healthy teeth and gums, even as washing of the mouth and teeth are a daily routine. It is therefore essential to have some knowledge about the products in our market today to know amongst other important details, whether it is safe to swallow particular toothpaste brands based on the amount of fluoride and other ingredients in them. Pepsodent and Oral-B are two toothpaste brands widely patronized today, thanks to good marketing strategies, widespread distribution channels, and the fact that both are being manufactured by leading companies in the FMCG industry. Both brands share quite a few similarities, even though each is unique. In terms of making the best buy of tubes of toothpaste, it is advisable to confirm it is endorsed by the Nigerian Dental Association (NDA) – the information is available on the association’s website.
• Pepsodent toothpaste is manufactured by Unilever Nigeria Plc. Oral-B toothpaste is manufactured by P&G Limited.
• Pepsodent Cavity Fighter which has a 140g variant sells for N300 in many retail stores which is a good price in comparison to close substitutes in the market. Oral-B Pro-Health Advanced Toothpaste 140g variant sells at N350 in supermarkets.
• A toothpaste dealer mentioned that both Pepsodent and Oral-B toothpastes have a steady demand in the market, unlike many others for which demand fluctuates.
• Both have blue and white packaging. While Oral-B has a turquoise blue colour, Pepsodent design is more of navy blue.
• Oral-B variants include, but are not limited to Oral-B Pro-Health Advanced Toothpaste, Oral-B Pro-Health Toothpaste Herbal Mint Gel, Oral-B Pro-Expert Premium Gum Protection Toothpaste, and Oral-B Pro-health All Round Protection Toothpaste. On the other hand, Pepsodent’s popular variants are Pepsodent Triple Protection Original, Pepsodent Triple Protection Natural White, and Pepsodent Cavity Fighter.
• A customer opined that she mostly prefers Pepsodent Cavity Fighter Toothpaste. She said, “It actually works well to protect the mouth against cavities, plaque, and gum problems”.
• Oral-B Pro-Expert Premium Gum Protection Toothpaste got positive reviews from customers. This variant is marked to contain an antibacterial fluoride and active clean crystals, from the product description.
• Pepsodent Triple Protection Original performs three functions: protecting the teeth against holes, stains, and bad breath.
• Oral B Pro-health All Round Protection Toothpaste contains stannous fluoride, which is recommended for more oral health benefits than kinds of toothpaste that contain sodium fluoride.
• The major active ingredients in Pepsodent Triple Protection Original are Sodium Fluoride (1450 ppm Fluoride) and, Perlite.
• Sodium Fluoride makes the teeth more resistant to decay and bacteria that cause cavities.
• For some people, mouth/ gum irritation may infrequently occur, which is common for people using any other fluoride supplements in addition to toothpaste. Fluoride becomes too much.
• ”A fluoride content of 0.7 ppm is now considered best for dental health. A concentration that is above 4.0 ppm could be hazardous.” (Medical News Today, 2018).
• It is advisable to consult your dentist if you experience cavities and tooth decay while using a toothpaste brand.
• Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) is used in the popular variants of both Pepsodent and Oral-B Toothpastes. It is a surfactant added for foaming and cleaning.
• According to studies, Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) may cause canker sores, dry mouth, and allergies.
• Oral-B Toothpaste has a fresh mint taste and gives protection from tooth holes. Care should be taken when being used for children, because of the fluoride content.
• Sodium Saccharin used in Oral-B Toothpaste is an artificial sweetener and can cause allergic reactions for certain people.
• Many customers who patronize Pepsodent Toothpaste mentioned it makes teeth enamel less abrasive. For Oral-B Toothpaste, more customers observed the product has a long-lasting freshness.
Frontpage November 7, 2019