Apart from the fact that many Nigerian dairy companies are operating by partnership or whole acquisition by multinational companies, and usually reconstitute imported milk powder into liquid milk and other dairy products, which not only affects the quality of milk produced in the country, but also contribute to a decrease in overall production amounts of liquid milk. Hence many liquid milk products may not actually last a year before expiring. Depending on what you would rather consume or looking to gain in your diet, this research reviews, one at a time, some liquid (or evaporated) milk products in the Nigerian market, and helps you understand what each brand truly offers.
Peak Evaporated Milk
Peak Evaporated Milk is an unsweetened Full Cream Milk. It is available in the Nigeria market in two variants. The first variant is the Peak Evaporated milk “Holland” produced by the Royal Friesland Campina, while the second variants is Peak Evaporated milk “Nigeria” by Friesland Campina WAMCO Nigeria Plc. The Netherland produced variant goes for N350 per tin, while the Nigeria made brand cost N200.
- It has both the standard (N200) and premium (N350) variant for different classes of consumer
- Its fattening or unskimmed nature makes it more suitable for people desiring to put on weight
- Rich in essential vitamins, minerals and protein content for body
- Provides energy for longer period than other brands
- Contains essential vitamins like Vitamin D3 which is particularly good for boosting immune system, calcium absorption and strengthening of bones
- It contains a high volume of calories (173Kcal/725kJ), protein (8.7g), and carbohydrate (12.6g) compared to other brands.
- It is a well-known brand and available nationwide
- More expensive than any other brands in the market
- Contain saturated fat which can negatively impact heart health by increasing bad cholesterol while lowering good cholesterol
Three crowns Filled Evaporated Milk
Friesland Campina WAMCO Nigeria Plc. In contrast to Peak milk, it has low cholesterol (0.0091g) and more affordable for the pocket (N150 per tin).
- Its low cholesterol level makes it very ideal for people who wants to shed or maintain current weight
- Contains vitamins A and E that is commonly absent in other skimmed milk
- Contains 28 vitamins and minerals; higher than other competing brands
- It enjoys the advantage of being the only brand with nutritional constituent that fulfil the recommended dietary allowance nutrient per day as specified by nutritionist
- It is a well-known brand and available in all stores
- It has no other variant for different classes of consumer
- Being a skim and low-fat milk, it has a lower nutritional advantage compared to unskimmed milk
Cowbell Filled Evaporated Milk
Cowbell Filled Evaporated Milk is milk produced by Promasidor Nigeria Limited.
- It is the best for calcium content, as it contains 50% more calcium than any other brands
- It is a skimmed milk and one of the cheapest brand in the market
- It is not as common as its powdered product in the Nigeria market
- It suffer from poor market knowledge
Hollandia Full Cream Evaporated Milk
Hollandia Full Cream Evaporated Milk: it is a product of CHI Limited.
- It has a unique packaging style compare to others
- It has two variants; 120g and 190g to accommodate different needs
- Its 120g variant is the cheapest among other competitors – N100
- It is one of the fastest moving brand in the market
- It has a unique creamy taste (just like Peak milk)
- It is well known and available in stores across the country
- It comes in paper pack that can easily rupture or leak when pinched/pressed
Luna Evaporated Milk
Luna Evaporated Milk is a product of Oriental Food Industry Limited. It has a creamy taste that makes it well sough for by consumer.
- It has a creamy taste just like Peak milk and Hollandia milk
- It is available in stores across the nation
- At N170 per tin, it is costlier than many of its peer with the exception of Peak milk
Popular Filled Evaporated Milk
Popular Filled Evaporated Milk is also product of Oriental Food Industry Limited.
- It enjoys brand strength (being a Luna product)
- It can be easily found in stores across the country
- It has one of the lowest nutritional composition per 100g among peers
Olympic Filled Evaporated Milk
- It has one of the highest nutritional make-up contents when compared to peers
- It has one of the lowest cholesterol contents (0.0068g) among its peers
- It is one of the few liquid milk that lacks Vitamin D
- Sharing the same price with brands like Three Crowns and Cowbell puts it at disadvantage in the market
- The product is far more diluted compared to peers
Nunu Filled Evaporated Milk
Nunu Filled Evapotared Milk is a product of Nutricima, and distributed by PZ Cusson Nigeria Plc. It is specially formulated for the nutritional benefit od children, with key vitamins and nutrients to support brain and body development for children.
- Specially formulated for children
- Contains key vitamins and minerals that support brain development of kids
- Its calcium content make it a sorted-after brand for healthy teeth development
- Visibility is very low due to poor marketing
- Scarcely found in many market/stores