There are so many toothpaste brands in Nigeria. From these numbers, there are brands with a larger market share and more apparent shelf presence. There is no doubt the benefits of using good toothpaste which is summed up in having healthy teeth and gums, even as washing of the mouth and teeth are a daily routine. It is therefore essential to have some knowledge about the products in our market today to know amongst other important details, whether it is safe to swallow particular toothpaste brands based on the amount of fluoride and other ingredients in them. To make the best buy of tubes of toothpaste, it is advisable to confirm it is endorsed by the Nigerian Dental Association (NDA) – the information is available on the association’s website.
- Manufactured by GlaxoSmithKline Plc.
- Macleans Complete Care is the most common variant.
- There are also Macleans herbal and Macleans Milk Teeth for children (1-6 years).
- This is the oldest brand of toothpaste in Nigeria, such that some people fondly refer to other kinds of toothpaste by its name.
- Many consumers believe that using the product gives healthy gums, strong teeth, and fresh breath.
- 140g size is sold at N300 in supermarkets/ stores.
- Macleans Milk Teeth contains 500ppm fluoride, which is appropriate for children.
- Many observed less abrasive enamel using the product.
- The herbal variant contains eucalyptus and peppermint oil.
- Herbal extracts and oils are known to cause allergies with frequent use according to the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
- It is an imported brand, manufactured in China by Colgate-Palmolive (China) co, ltd.
- The products are in different forms such as Colgate optic white, Colgate total, Colgate fluoride and calcium, Colgate herbal and Colgate max fresh.
- Colgate max fresh 130g is being sold at N280, while Colgate optic white 75ml is sold at N720.
- It is particularly good for preventing cavities and giving a long-lasting fresh breath.
- A consumer observed that she likes the product because it foams a lot.
- Many believe Colgate fluoride and calcium give a healthier dentition and is the best variant.
- Another mentioned that she noticed the paste is not so thick and easily drops out of the toothbrush.
- Produced by Unilever Nigeria Plc.
- It exists as Pepsodent Triple Protection Original, Pepsodent Triple Protection Natural White and Pepsodent Cavity Fighter.
- Pepsodent Triple Protection Original is more common for performing three functions: protecting the teeth against holes, stains and bad breath.
- Pepsodent Cavity Fighter has a net weight of 140g and sells at N300 in many retail stores.
- A toothpaste dealer mentioned that ever since the products were introduced into the market there has been a steady demand for it, unlike many others for which demand fluctuates.
- Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) is used in the product. It is a surfactant added for foaming and cleaning.
- Several studies report it may cause canker sores, dry mouth, and allergies.
- Also manufactured by Unilever Nigeria Plc.
- It is the most popular toothpaste brand in the country, available in virtually all stores dealing in toothpaste.
- Unlike most brands, it has smaller sachet-packed sizes.
- It comes in different forms such as Closeup Deep action, Closeup Herbal, Closeup White Now and other variants.
- Closeup Deep action is in the form of a gel with red colour. A few persons say they like the feel of menthol and red hotness the product offers.
- 140g size is being sold at N200 in retail stores.
- Some persons claimed they stuck to the product even with other brands being introduced as the manufacturers constantly improve on the brand.
- Sodium Saccharin – an artificial sweetener used in the product, can cause allergies for some people.
- A smoker complained the product does not whiten his teeth like some others.
- Manufactured by P&G Limited.
- 140g net weight size is being sold at N350.
- It has a fresh mint taste and gives protection from tooth holes.
- Oral-B has a unique turquoise blue packaging.
- Many consumers observed the product has a long-lasting freshness.
- Care should be taken when being used for children, because of the fluoride content.
- Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) is present, which may cause canker sores and allergies according to studies.
- Sodium Saccharin also used in the product, is an artificial sweetener and can cause allergic reactions for certain people.
- Made by Daraju Industries Limited.
- 145g size is being sold at N150 in supermarkets, which is the least expensive.
- Some persons noted that the product gives a long-lasting fresh breath.
- There is the herbal fluoride variant, in green packaging.
- The herbal fluoride variant is more preferred than the red gel variant, according to a store owner.
- My My Herbal Fluoride Toothpaste is made with natural extract and eucalyptus which some persons have allergies to.
- A customer complained that the herbal variant is not as minty as many others.
- Both sodium lauryl sulfate and sodium saccharin are used in the products, with varying allergies.
- Manufactured by African Consumer Care Limited.
- It is dubbed by the manufacturer as a medicated natural toothpaste.
- There is also the Dabur Mint and Lemon Toothpaste variant.
- Dabur herbal toothpaste does not contain fluoride.
- 140g size sells at N230 in retail stores.
- It works well for eliminating bad breath and gums problems.
- This is because it contains Basil, a natural anti-bacteria herb which eliminates bad breath and gives strong teeth.
- However, in some people, basil can cause low blood sugar, especially when taken in the long term.
- Manufactured by GlaxoSmithKline Plc.
- It is usually recommended by dentists for people with sensitive teeth.
- A pharmacist also mentioned that it protects the teeth against decay and removes stains from it.
- With a net weight of 75ml, Sensodyne is sold at N1000 in wholesale stores.
- It is more common in pharmacies than supermarkets and traditional markets.
- The product variants include Sensodyne Daily Care, Sensodyne Extra Fresh, Sensodyne Gentle Whitening and Sensodyne Rapid Action.
- Sensodyne does not foam, which may be associated with it not having Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) in its makeup.
- A few people opined that they preferred Sensodyne Rapid Action and that it relieves tooth pains fast.
- The product contains Sodium Saccharin associated with allergies in some people.
Frontpage December 2, 2019